What is the max temperature for putting down roof shingles?

It takes a combination of atmospheric temperature and radiant heating combined with the roof slope to cause this to be a concern.  So 80 degrees and high sun on a 6:12 pitch might yield conditions that are no longer conducive for shingle installation.  A cloudy 95 degree day may be just fine.

In general, if the foot traffic on the shingles is resulting in the granules being disturbed and exposing the underlying asphalt, then the shingles are too hot and the work should stop.

hope this helps,

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO

I offer solid knowlege of all types of Commercial and Residential Roofing, Waterproofing, and, Building Envelope systems. Experience ranges across low slope and steep slope roof systems. I am also well versed in matters regarding condensation and ventilation. I enjoy donating some of my time and knowledge to the betterment of others.

Bruce Ryan has 20 years of roofing, waterproofing, and building envelope consulting experience with PRC, with 5 years of commercial roofing experience prior to joining the firm. He became Vice President of the company in 1998. Bruce Ryan plays a key role in the development of practical, long-term roofing and waterproofing solutions, along with implementation of on-site forensic studies. Bruce also has a high level of experience with regard to the impacts of roofing materials and construction for demanding clients with heavily occupied structures.

Oregon Construction Contractors Board Construction Specifiers Institute National Roofing Contractors Association The Institute of Roofing, Waterproofing, & Building Envelope Professionals Oregon Board of Investigators Installation Masters

University of Maryland BS Business & Administration Registered Roof Observer - RCI Private Investigator Certified EIFS inspector - Northwest Wall and Ceiling Bureau Certified InstallationMaster™ - The Installation Masters™ Training and Certification Program (developed by American Architectural Manufacturers Association)