Roofing/Re-roofing

Question
I am the president of a patio home/condo association in Louisville, Kentucky.  Our units are now 18 years old and need to be re-roofed.  We have several men in our community who insist that we lay over the existing shingles rather than tear off and shingle.  They say the difference of the life of the roofs is two years.  We've had many, many leaks over the years.  Apparently the valleys were put in wrong.  The leaks happen mainly when we have hard rains, but they have leaked other times.  My question is, can we lay over roofs that leak?  And for 20-year shingles, is the lifespan of laid over roofs 18 years?  Thank you very much for your attention to this, and I look forward to your response.

Answer
2012 Angie\'s List Award Rooftime In CIncinnati
2012 Angie's List Awar  

Rooftime is an A-Rated Member
Rooftime is an A-Rated  
Anything that was installed incorrectly, and remains for any reason on the roof, is still there, still wrong, even when covered by new material.

If you have had a large amount of leaks over time, you should strip it down to inspect for wood sheathing damage.

Using new dimensional shingles over proper underlayment, on a solid wood deck, should equate out to a 30 year minimum roof system.

The main problem I have found when working on condo / apartment complexes is the fact that the wood deck tends to be thinner then the 7/16 - 1/2" you really need as a minimum. Shingles are measured in 10' x 10' sections we refer to as a SQUARE.

One square of typical 3-tab shingles weighs abut 285 pounds. Adding a second layer adds another 300-350 pounds in that 10X10 box area. A wood deck that is 3/8" or 5/8" will be stressed badly by this added weight. IF you get a few bad heavy wet snows, you can actually cause the deck to dip and warp from weight that exceeds the load factor.

It is ALWAYS advisable to strip a roof down and rebuild it to a better standard than the builders used.

Good Luck!  

Roofing

Dale Rooftime Shoemaker