Roofing/replacing shingles

Question
In 1993 I had 25 year windsealed shingles put on my roof in western Massachusetts.  I have had no problems at all except for mold on the roof.  Should we anticipate replacing them within the next 5 years or is it possible to get more life out of them.

Answer
John,

Asphalt shingles can work fine for a number of years after they appear to need to be replaced, however this is entirely dependent on the roof top conditions of your specific installation. In my experience most people replace their shingles because they have on going leaks or they just look like crap.

As a rule of thumb for predicting longevity, I take the warranty period and subtract 20%.  The manufacturer's material warranty is not worth the paper it is written on so you can disregard anything on it, so I would say you have gotten your money's worth out of so far!

Time flies does it not?

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO