Roofing/Reroof Questions

Question
I saw your thread on a roofing website and would like to bounce some questions off you if I may.

I live in San Antonio and currently have a house with dimensional shingle that need replacing. The roof is not very steep.

1. What brand of shingles do you recommend and are their different grades or qualities of dimensional shingles?

2. Should I go with 15 or 30 pound roofing paper.

3. The house does not have drip edging...the fascia is angled inwards. The roofers I've had look at the property say I don't need drip edging...but I'm a little leery.

4.id also like to install a tubular skylight. Do you recommend a specific brand and should I do it before or after I have the roof done?

Thanks so much.

Answer
Chuck,

If you are going to go with a dimensional shingle, there are a ton of options.  When you say that your roof is not very steep, if the slope is less than 3:12 then there are additional enhancements required by code over a standard shingle roof installation.  If your slope is less than 2:12 then a shingle roof should not be installed.

When considering a dimensional shingle, sight angles are important to the visual effect, therefore be sure that enough of the shingle is visible to warranty the additional expense of the material.

There are many different quality levels and most are discernible by warranty length i.e. the longer the warranty typically the better the shingle.  We usually don't like to endorse brands (as I will below)as we an independent consultant, and for the most part they are all fairly equal in terms of performance.  I recommend that you stay with a large manufacturer that has been in business under the same name for a very long time.  You will recognize them when you see them.

Architectural shingles are usually manufactured through a laminating process and they are NOT all created equal.  As your slope is not steep I recommend that you consider a FULL Laminated shingle which has a full base layer with a laminate on top.  Many of the architectural shingles have a have wide base layer that stops just above the nail line to save manufacturing costs and weight.  There are performance issues with this type of product with regard to installation, wind resistance, water management, and overall longevity.

As for edge flashing and drip flashing - it is required by the residential building code.

Solatube is the only tubular skylight I have experience with.  Excellent lighting, very efficient on heat gain, and flashing kits are robust.

I always suggest using #30 ASTM D226 asphalt saturated felt, some synthetics are good as well.

Bruce Ryan, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO