Roofing/roof in pouring rain

Question
they installed , wood , paper and whatever else is needed from a stripped roof in the pouring torrential rain all day. is that ok, i am very concerned. thank you for your advise...

Answer
Debbie,

My apologies for the delay in my response, as I am traveling in the Western US.

Roofing in the rain is always a bad practice, such should only be done in emergency circumstances and with the intent of removing and replacing anything installed, let me try to explain.

I will presume this is a residential home and likely a steep-sloped roof with asphalt shingles or similar roof covering.

As for the wood, if it is too wet any nails are more likely to back out when the wood dries. In addition, depending on the quality of the nail, it could excellerate rusting of the nail.

As for the underlayment (paper felt over the wood) it is an organic saturate felt so when it gets wet, like most organic things, it absorbs moisture and swells.  In this case you will see wrinkles develop in the felt throughout the roof, making for a poor surface to apply the roof covering (shingle, etc).  Roofers finding this often cut the wrinkles, which simply destroys the felt rendering it useless. and in need of removal and replacement.  To simply apply move over the bad underlayment, will still result in a bad surface.

As for the shingles (presuming asphalt shingles)the moisture of moderate to heavier rain can contaminate the sealant strip preventing it from properly sealing as designed.  In addition, the entrapped moisture will take an extended time to vent out from under the roof covering.  If the felt underneath is wet, likely you will find is deteriorating much sooner, possibly forming bio-organic growth such as white colored mold on the felt.

If the roof products were installed as you express, it would be very reasonable to insist they remove all materials and install all new products. I would not suggest accepting some type of letter from the manufacturer that the roof may try to get to state everything is fine and they will warranty their products still.  Unfortunately, the roofer should have simply tarped the roof during the rain to keep the house dry and then started roofing when weather was proper to do so.

I will you the best of luck and if your right stand your ground, withhold any payment until it is done correctly.  If it was insurance money related, inform them of this situation to insist they without any payment until work is completed correctly.

Steven C Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT  

Roofing

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT