Roofing/venting metal roofing

We have steel roofing over a covered porch.  We need to vent this roof with static vents about 3' from the ridge.  The max width of the vent can only be 7" since the flat part of the metal roof design allows for a watertight install.  Is there an available slant back vent in the dimension I need or will I have to custom make these?

One of the real benefits of metal roofing is the ease of using continuous ridge venting allowing the elimination of other penetrating vents.   if it is possible to use ridge venting pursue that option.  You will find it easier, less expensive, better performing and much more water tight.  Consult with the provider of the metal roofing for the proper ridge cap, screening material and formed closures.  

In the unlikely event you can't use ridge venting, we have always custom made vents to match the roof.  Most available stock vents are made with marginal metal quality and won't perform as well as the roof and don't look very good.  The vent size is another issue you must address.  If you are committed to static box style vents and don't want to have custom ones made, you can make any size work with some creativity and extra flat metal pieces to "shingle" in the pieces to ensure proper water flow over the vent flange.

Not seeing your specific application I may not have fully understood your request but I hope this is helpful.

Jerry Iselin

I am pretty comfortable with all metal roofing related questions. We can discuss performance, application, practicality, technical and detail. It is difficult to deal with pricing issues due to the regional differences.

I started in the metal roofing industry in 1976 working for a major West Coast manufacturer. I spent the next 16 years with that organization leaving as the Vice-President and regional General Manager. In 1992 I started Metal Roof Specialties to focus on the needs of residential and small commercial customers. In my manufacturing years I focused on product introduction and sales as well as design and application. for the past 12 years I have been a regular trainer and presenter at Metalcon International conventions sponsored by the Metal Roofing Alliance and I have also performed training and demonstration area moderation for the National Roofing Contractors Association conventions. I have also been employed by a major metal roofing manufacturer for training and speaking engagements. My company specializes in metal roofing and siding only. We are a supply and install contractor as well as a retail outlet for metal roofing and siding materials.

Metal Roofing Alliance. National Roofing Contractors Association. Building Industry Association of Washington.

Green River Community College - Accounting major. University of Washington - Graduate School of Business Administration - Management Program. BHP Steel - RMC III Executive training, Melbourne, Australia / Berkeley, California.