Roofing/IB roofing

Our single story house just got a new roof - Certainteed shingles part of the house -  and IB roofing system  (garage and kitchen).  Throughout the process there has been a heavy glue smell in the house.  Is it normal?  We aired it out, thought it was gone, turned on our central air system and the glue smell is back REALLY STRONG. What happened?  What do we do?  Is it toxic?  

Also, IB system on flat roof (looks like PVC) has some bubbles.  Can this affect the longevity of this roof system?   

Thanks,  Gabriel

If the roof membrane is totally adhered to the flat roof, it maybe the adhesive (glue) that you smell. Also as you know when you buy a new vinyl (PVC) shower curtain there is a residual smell for a while. Well the PVC roof membrane will give off a similar odour.

If the bubble is under the membrane it means it is an air pocket or an area where there was not sufficient adhesive. If the bubble is in the membrane then it is a defect and performance will be affected.

Contact the manufacturer IB roof to find out how long the odor will persist.

Hope this helps.

D. John Henderson

My 33 years in the building science business has involved air barriers, waterproofing, and flat & steep slope roofing systems.

My roofing encompasses commercial systems (BUR, mod-bit, single-ply) and residential applications (asphalt shingles, cedar shingles, slate and metal. I am cognizant of code stipulations in regards to FM and UL for commercial roofs.

Attended numerous courses offerd by Roof Consultants Institute, Roofing Industry Educational Institute, Factory Mutual Research Corporation, University of Wisconsin, and BURSI. Lectured for RCI and mentored at a local university for a Building Science Certificate.

Government, commercial businesses such as The GAP, hospitals, school boards as a roof designer.