Roofing/IBR metal sheets on carport -condensation

Question
QUESTION: Hi

I have carports that is giving us problems with condensation.

The carports have IBR metal sheeting and underneath is ISO boards its compressed polystyrene ceilings, during the night a lot of condensation happens and in the mornings it drips through the boards.

My question is what can I do to rectify the problem without taking down the ceilings again as it will break when removed,is there any solution to try and put something on top of the roof to try and keep the sheets from cooling down so drastically during the night.

I looked into torch-on membranes but it is a costly solution.Someone also recommended that i paint on a thick layer of industrial waterproofing roof paint.

Please if any can you give me a solution to my problem.

Thank you
Mari Lize

ANSWER: Somehow you need some insulation. Probably the easiest way to accomplish this would be to have the underside of the carport roofs sprayed with closed cell urethane foam.

Thanks for your question.

www.asktoddmiller.com

QUESTION: Hi,

Thank you but the problem is the ceilings cant be removed as it is attached to the IBR sheets  and if we do remove it it will break and all ISO boards will have to be replaced.

thanks
mari Lize

Answer
I believe that spraying to the underside of the ceilings will stop the problem though I realize that aesthetically that may not be pleasing.

I do not believe that applying any sort of coating or membrane to the top of the metal roof will change the situation.  

You could install a new roof system of some type which includes 2-4 inches of insulation or even vented airspace above the existing roof.  I think that would solve the issue as well.

Roofing

Todd E. Miller