Roofing/roof decking integrity

I live in tornado/hail alley and have had hail damage to several roofs on my 25 yr. old house.  I am currently in the process of having my 7th roof installed.  I have always had the 4 tab composition shingle installed.  I am concerned with the integrity of my 5/8" decking.  How many times can I re-roof before the decking needs to be replaced?

5/8" plywood is a good strong wood. Most builders use 1/2". I like stepping up to 5/8" so you're good there unless your rafters are far apart. The number of roofs does not affect the wood. Shingles don't come 4 tab. It's 3 tab or Dimensionals. Why are you on your 7th roof? What has been going on? The minimum shingle you could buy in the past was 20 year shingles so 7 roofs should take you out to 140 years and today you can't get 20 years. The minimum today is 25 so that takes you out to 175 years. So you probably fall between 2-3 lifetimes. How old are you?

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University