hi im redoing my roof its a 4 peek slope my question is do i lay my tar paper first or my ice shield first or dos it go on top of the paper thanks

I'm assuming that you are installing Ice & Water Shield (a self-adhered underlayment) at the perimeters? If so you would want to install it prior to the installation of the felt underlayment. Everything should be installed in a shingle manner where laps naturally direct water downslope, in lieu of having laps where water can directly enter the lap.
Thanks and good luck with the re-roof,

Aaron Nelson

All types of questions with regard to roofing, waterproofing and sheet metal. This includes commercial and residential buildings, along with the various aspects of the construction means and methods, ventilation, steep-slope or low-slope, code requirements, installation errors and other such problems

I started in roofing fabricating and installing sheet metal flashings out of high school for a large commercial contractor. I worked for the same contractor in the office estimating and project managing commercial project for 10 years. I left the construction side of roofing and now work as a roof consultant, which I have been doing for 8-years.

RCI, Inc.

I am a Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) and a Registered Roof Observer (RRO) through RCI, Inc. RCI is a international group of building envelope professionals. I am an approved instructor for RCI educational programs.

We have worked with many local school districts, insurance companies, HOA's, building management companies, and we have a national client with buildings located throughout the US.