Roofing/Spanish Tile Roof leak...

Dear Mr. Zacharia,

First of all, thank you very much for volunteering on this site!
I have Spanish tiles for roof in my house of 10 years.    (We just recently bought the house).     During the last downpour this PM we had a leak over our garage area, where it is difficult to visualize the roof.   
    O   What are the most common reasons for this type of roofs to leak?!    
  Are there any tricks to walking on these tiles?  
  Any rules of thumb in ref to weight, etc?
  How often should I hire someone to inspect the roof?
  Any general advice you could give me?   

Thank you very much!       

Pablo Durissimo

Roofs leak because there are holes. You have to find the holes. Tiles can be cracked. Most leaks are in places where special things have to be done like around pipes, valleys etc. You will have the best luck if you walk on the tops of the tiles. The tops are like arches which are very strong shapes. You probably couldn't hire someone to make a thorough inspection because they'd have to walk all over to see every aspect of the roof and they would risk breaking tiles. They don't want to be responsible for breaking tiles and then you'll tell them they did it and you want them to fix it for nothing.

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University