Our roofer just finished combination shingles and flat roof ( IB system). Please see some pictures of the gaps and holes that were left in the shingle where they meet the chimneys or the blocks.  I asked about this and he said it's ok as there are layers underneath.    Also, the edge of the shingles that come in contact ( not overlapping) with the flat IB system part of the roof, are not attached in a way that I can't lift a row.  I can lift the row of shingles about 3 or 4 inches , just the edge.  Is this ok?  

We did have the old roof entirely removed.  What do you think?  

Thank you,   Gabe

The picture is too close-up to tell what I'm looking at. I do see a gap but I can't tell what the overall idea was. Certainly gaps are not good but some gaps in shingles are OK. The line about the layers underneath does not sound good. If it's the layers underneath stopping the water then why put the top layer on. It would be cheaper to just use the layers underneath to keep the water out. So that one is double-talk.

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University