Roofing/insulating a roof with soffits

Question
House built 1959, steel shingles, no insulation on rafters. Do I use the Styrofoam vents to run from roof ridge to soffit vents and then insulate. Will I have to vent each space between rafters or only to the soffit vents?

Answer
Dean,
I'm trying to make sure that I have the construction correct - is there no insulation in the attic space at all? You indicated "no insulation on rafters" I'm not sure if you are referring to the rafter portion that the substrate is attached to, or if there is no insulation in the entire space.
If the intent is to install insulation between the rafters near the sheathing, a minimum of 1" must be allotted for between the sheathing and the insulation. All of the ventilation must be 1 square foot/150 square feet of attic space - attic spaces may be defined as any closed space. The ventilation is essential. It must ventilate all spaces and achieve a 50/50 ratio of intake (eave or soffit) and exhaust (ridge).
The Styrofoam vents are a retro-fit product in the event that proper space is not allotted for with the insulation, provided that you allow for the proper spacing of the insulation, the Styrofoam would not be necessary.
Ventilation is the key element in this installation. Insure that each space is properly ventilated (1:150) and space above the insulation (1" minimum) and you should be fine.
Good luck,
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson