Roofing/very little overhang on steel roof

Question
Hello Aaron, I am hoping that you can give me some advice on a steel roof my wife and I just installed over top of shingles. It appears I may have miscalculated a little bit on the eaves edge overhang, leaving only about a 1/4" of steel to barely feed the trough and mostly run down the facia and walls. There is a small gap 1/8" wide that runs down the length of the gutter, between the facia and the back edge of the gutter, because of the brackets holding it on. Is there any way to stretch the steel another couple of inches, or is it to late to add a drip strip or some-thing to keep the water off the walls and windows? With winter coming I don't care to be living in an ice house, though the neighbors might think it is funny. I am trying to keep my humor but I think my wife has lost hers. Can you please help me, sincerely, Chris.

Answer
Chris,
I'm going to do my best to help you keep your humor, however I am going to call it like I see it, and in your case it's not really good.
Generally metal roofing is installed atop a clean substrate with a self-adhered underlayment, not atop shingles. I've been looking in the building code and see that may be a code-violation, however the larger issue is that this may be a poor-performing assembly, long-term.
To the point of your question - no there is not a way to stretch the metal. You could remove the panels and reinstall them with enough overhang, and fabricate a new ridge metal to cover the amount that you "cheated" on the downhill slope. Obviously this is an extreme process, however if you elect to do that you should remove the shingles and install a self-adhered underlayment on the entire residence. The fact that the panels are too short may be a blessing in-disguise by forcing you to remove and reinstall the panels.
Sorry to not be the bearer of good news.
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson