Roofing/roofing problem?

Our roofer just finished combination shingles and flat roof ( IB system). Please see some pictures of the gaps and holes that were left in the shingle where they meet the chimneys or the blocks.  I asked about this and he said it's ok as there are layers underneath.    Also, the edge of the shingles that come in contact ( not overlapping) with the flat IB system part of the roof, are not attached in a way that I can't lift a row.  I can lift the row of shingles about 3 or 4 inches , just the edge.  Is this ok?  

We did have the old roof entirely removed.  What do you think?  

Thank you,   Gabe

The photo that you provided shows the ridge shingle butting up against (what appears to be) a chimney. There should be step shingles (metal pieces bent at 90-degrees) that are integrated into EACH COURSE of shingles that extend up the vertical side of the chimney, and are concealed under a flashing that is integrated into the brick coursing of the chimney (a similar example of this can be seen here It appears that there is a flashing that was just painted - I'm hoping that the step shingles are installed and the flashing was bent back down into place, and repainted. If this is the case, I would not be too concerned regarding the ridge shingles butting up to the chimney as the underlying step flashings should properly protect the area. This is an extremely vulnerable location as the step flashings are generally cut, and rely on sealant at the corners, if the roofing contractor took great care with his sheet metal, or provided a soldered flashing or lead, the location should be fine. I'm not sure why there is a cut in the shingle on the right of the photo though.  
Regarding the integration between the IB roof and the steep-slope shingles, the detail should be as shown here - which is taken directly from the IB website. The IB roof is a PVC and they generally can NOT come in contact with bitumen products, thus overlapping shingles directly onto the IB is likely not a good method, likely why IB's details show a metal flashing as a divider between the bitumen shingle and the PVC membrane.
Hope this helps,

Aaron Nelson

All types of questions with regard to roofing, waterproofing and sheet metal. This includes commercial and residential buildings, along with the various aspects of the construction means and methods, ventilation, steep-slope or low-slope, code requirements, installation errors and other such problems

I started in roofing fabricating and installing sheet metal flashings out of high school for a large commercial contractor. I worked for the same contractor in the office estimating and project managing commercial project for 10 years. I left the construction side of roofing and now work as a roof consultant, which I have been doing for 8-years.

RCI, Inc.

I am a Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) and a Registered Roof Observer (RRO) through RCI, Inc. RCI is a international group of building envelope professionals. I am an approved instructor for RCI educational programs.

We have worked with many local school districts, insurance companies, HOA's, building management companies, and we have a national client with buildings located throughout the US.