Roofing/Turtle vs. Ridge

Question
Good Evening Brad,

Have to replace my 16 yr old roof due to hail and wind.  It has turtle vents.  I am trying to decide if it is worth changing from turtle to ridge vents.  The insurance will cover either.  Another option is an attic fan. Your thoughts/suggestions?  Many thanks for your input!

Bob

Answer
No vents work well unless it is part of a system. You need intake venting at the bottom of the roof to bring in cool air. As it heats up it rises to the top and then you need to expel that air. Your exit vents should be near the top.

The more venting the better. You measure it in square-ft or square-inches. If you can add more square-ft with ridge vents than you can have with the turtle vents then go ridge. Also the ridge vents go across the entire top so it equally vents the entire attic.

If you do a fan you can have a smaller area because that will be made up by using power to pull greater amounts of air through smaller spaces. Again, you would need 2 vents - usually one on each end of the attic or a roof fan near the top with soffit vents at the bottom.

Brad

Roofing

Brad Zacharia