Roofing/Roof stains

Question
Bruce:
I have lots of roof stain and am not sure how or what it is. It appears to be a heavy rubbery substance, perhaps from surrounding trees. Someone suggested power washing, but I am reluctant. Power washing may remove some of the protective coating on the shingles and shorten its life.
In any event, have you experienced this type of a problem.
Thanks for volunteering.

Answer
Nicholas,

I have not encountered the condition of which you speak, but if you have an opportunity, perhaps attaching a photo of the substance and an overall of the surrounding area may help.  Otherwise, power washing can be performed but I suggest a wide tip only as damage to the surface of the shingles is likely which will reduce the service life and the pressure may flip the tabs and break them.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO