Roofing/roof shingles

Question
last month a company put on a new roof for me.  New deck, felt and shingles.  I noticed from the street that the roof appears like there are wrinkles or it's wavy-shingles are not laying smooth.....What could have happened and how can this be fixed.

Answer
Carole,

Good morning. The situation you are experiencing is unfortunately not uncommon.  The felt used over the deck and under the shingles is likely an ASTM D 226 Type I, commonly referred to as shingle felt. This is an organic paper felt that is saturated with asphalt which is usually nailed or stapled to the wood deck. When this felt is left exposed and gets wet because of rain or morning condensation, the paper expands and wrinkles. Since it has fasteners holding it, it wrinkles in between the fasteners so wrinkles are usually at various angles. Many times roofers will not replaced or repair this condition prior to installing the shingles as it seems is your situation. They think the shingles and all the nails holding the shingles will lay the wrinkles flat which is almost never the case.  They should have cut and repairs the felt or removed it and used a new felt. If the wrinkling is minor they could remove the shingles in the isolated areas, cut and repair the felt then replace shingles. In colder temperatures the wrinkles should look not as noticeable, when warmer, the roofing material will expand and they may become even more noticeable. If wrinkles is wide spread, the only remedy is to remove the shingles and felt and replace the roof.

Unfortunately, the roofer made an error and it is unlikely that these wrinkles will go away.  In a few years they may lay down slightly but that is not a certainty. You are a position that if you paid the roofer you will have little leverage to have them address the problem.  If you have not paid him he may be motivated to address your concerns. Unless wrinkles are bad the shingles should perform in a proper manner, just look poorly. If wrinkling is pronounced conditions such as wind driven rain and areas of ice damming is a real concern.

I hope the above at least gives you some clarity on the situation. Please feel free to write back with any additional questions.

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT

Roofing

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT