I have a 14 year old double wide mobile home and the roof is leaking in several places. I have been told it all needs to be stripped off and new shingles put on. I have also been told that a second layer of shingles can be layer over the existing. Can a second layer be put on top of the existing?

Hi Mike,

I'm very familiar with mobile home design.

Multiple layers of composition shingles have been done successfully for over a century, however the extra weight is not to ignored and especially on a mobile home.

The simple answer is; Check with your local building department.

Also, comp shingles need to have a minimum pitch to function properly. Anything below a 4ft in 12ft pitch and your asking for trouble. Most mobile homes have a 3/12 pitch or less.

I would bet your problem is actually the wrong type of roofing material. This time, I would go with a low slope material like "Torch-on roll roofing".

Orange County Roofing, With Pride  

Joe Ronstadt SR

All questions related to residential roofing and roof repair.

In Business Since 1980, over 34 years as of 2014. Specializing in residential re-roofing and roof repairs.

OC Register and San Clemente Journal.

relevant construction credentials are: Licensed Contractor since 1980 by the C.S.L.B. 390685 - roofing 452151 - general, frameing, painting, concrete special coatings.