Roofing/Calculation

Question
Roofing
Roofing  
QUESTION: Hello
With reference to the following details for my proposed roof plan  attached, can assist me with sketching and computing the following below for my roof.

Details:
Drawn to a scale 1/8"=1' and with an overhang of 3'can you assist me with sketching a hip roof for a 4/12 slope or a 1/6 pitch and computing the following:
1. common rafter length
2. hip rafter length
3. jack rafter length
4. number of galvanize sheets
5. also how much labor and how much/type materials would be required
Any additional info required please let me know

ANSWER: Sam,
There are various methods and ways that you could design the roof and it's really up to you how you want to design it. You should design the roof the way that you want and then you can proceed. With regard to the calculations you can visit http://www.roofingcalculator.org/roof-pitch-calculator.php for various lengths once you design the roof. You should review the building codes in your area (I'm in the US and only familiar with US/Canada codes) to see what requirements they have. With regard to the cost for the roofing and materials I would recommend that you contact local contractors for the actual pricing for an accurate quote.
I'm sorry that I can't provide much help, but there are too many variables for me to accurately answer the questions that you've asked.
Good luck,
Aaron

QUESTION: Thanks!
Also, is there a formula to calculate galvanize sheets and how?
Wanted to find out as well what is the difference among hip rafter, common rafter and jack rafter

Answer
Sam,
I'm assuming that you mean galvanized sheets for the actual metal roofing? If so you can get them is various lengths and widths so I couldn't tell you how many you would need as they are different sizes.
With regard to the different rafter types - here http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=jack+rafter&id=1D20D079E49F66A9DFA7403EBB96F is a link to a good photo showing various types of rafters.
Good luck with your project,
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson