Roofing/Gutter Apron

We are getting new gutters installed on our existing house and new porch roof.  Do we really need a gutter apron?  There is ample overhand of the shingles.  I saw one roofing website where they installed ice & water shield at the roof edge and overlapped the fascia board, butting the gutter up against the I & W Shield.  If we do that, couldn't we eliminate the gutter apron since the shingles overhang enough to direct the water into the gutter?

I don't know what you mean by a gutter apron.
Ice and Water Shield should not be left exposed. It degrades in sunlight.
The gutter should be installed on the fascia. The shingles should stick out over the edge about an inch so water drips into the gutter and not behind it. One factor could be that when the water drips it splashes all over and can wet the fascia. If the fascia is wood it can rot over time. So the Fascia should be covered with aluminum to make sure that no bare wood is exposed otherwise you'll have to always keep it painted.

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University