Roofing/Possible roof leak

Question
Hi Brad,
I believe I have a possible roof leak. During that last down pour the ceiling in one of the rooms is slightly stained. I inspected the roof for loose shingles, lifting, etc, but found nothing out of the ordinary.

Question: Should I wait till the next rain to see where the leak is coming from? ...Inspect and find leak from the attic. If so, what materials should have I have handy to stop the leak? Tarp or some sort of caulking material?

The best scenario is to find the leak prior to the next rain, but I am not sure how to do that.

Thanks,
Rick L.

Answer
If you have a leak you have a hole in the roof. You have to find the hole. Older shingles might make it more difficult to spot the hole.

The closer you get to the source when tracking a leak the more accurate you'll be. If you have access to the attic go up there to track the trail of water. It might take you directly to the source of the trouble.

Once you find the hole there are many things you can do from ugly to professional. Ugly would be a tarp or roofing cement. Professional would be to replace the shingles that are the problem.

Brad

Roofing

Brad Zacharia