Roofing/Query on Roofing ..

With reference to the following details for my proposed roof plan  attached, can assist me with sketching and computing the following below for my roof.

Drawn to a scale 1/8"=1' and with an overhang of 3'can you assist me with sketching a hip roof for a 4/12 slope or a 1/6 pitch and computing the following:
1. common rafter length
2. hip rafter length
3. jack rafter length
4. number of galvanize sheets
5. also how much labor and how much/type materials would be required
Any additional info required please let me know

You have a lot of questions that unfortunately will have answers that are totally dependant on your location and products that are available.   the labor rate is also relative to local conditions.  there aren't standards for metal sheets so hopefully the following information will be helpful.   with a 4:12 roof slope, the length of the rafters will be 17'-11".   For a full hip roof, commonly the roof sheets are ordered in the one length and the cuts from the main run will be used to fill in the ends of the hip roof.

You will need just under 1800 square feet of roofing.   I also think you will need 20' of ridge flashing, 100' of hip and 170' of drip edge or eave.   Again, not knowing the local product availability, I can not do much better than that.

Good luck with your project!

Jerry Iselin

I am pretty comfortable with all metal roofing related questions. We can discuss performance, application, practicality, technical and detail. It is difficult to deal with pricing issues due to the regional differences.

I started in the metal roofing industry in 1976 working for a major West Coast manufacturer. I spent the next 16 years with that organization leaving as the Vice-President and regional General Manager. In 1992 I started Metal Roof Specialties to focus on the needs of residential and small commercial customers. In my manufacturing years I focused on product introduction and sales as well as design and application. for the past 12 years I have been a regular trainer and presenter at Metalcon International conventions sponsored by the Metal Roofing Alliance and I have also performed training and demonstration area moderation for the National Roofing Contractors Association conventions. I have also been employed by a major metal roofing manufacturer for training and speaking engagements. My company specializes in metal roofing and siding only. We are a supply and install contractor as well as a retail outlet for metal roofing and siding materials.

Metal Roofing Alliance. National Roofing Contractors Association. Building Industry Association of Washington.

Green River Community College - Accounting major. University of Washington - Graduate School of Business Administration - Management Program. BHP Steel - RMC III Executive training, Melbourne, Australia / Berkeley, California.