Roofing/roof repair

Question
QUESTION: Hi, we needed a roof repair, the fascia board on our roof was rotted, they said there was leak on the over hang. Anyway I noticed a large piece of wood on the ground that was cut to shape our roof. The thing is they only replaced a small amount of shingle on the front of the roof. I don't see how they could have put such a large piece of wood on the roof with out removing a large amount of shingle. My question is can you lift up the old shingle on a roof and put on the wood and then just lay them back down?

ANSWER: Rose,
As long as the shingles are still flexible they should be able to be reinstalled without much of a problem. If the roofer was able to do this (which it sounds like they were) it indicates that your shingles are still in good condition and should last for many more years (which is good news for you). The only worry that I would have is that the seal-down strip may have had the bond broken during the removal. Depending on the shingle this bond may or may not re-seal. One way to insure that the bond is replicated is to spot-tab the corners of the shingles. This is a process wherein the roofer installs a small amount of SBS mastic (sealant) to the corners of the shingles, thus adhering the shingles together and replicating the seal-down strip. You may want to ask the roofer to do this to insure that everything is back to it's original condition.
Good luck,
Aaron
Here is a link that I found to a diagram showing spot-tabs in the event that I didn't describe it well. http://ts3.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608013979035502002&w=300&h=180&c=7&rs=1&pid=1.7

QUESTION: Hi, thank you so much for your help,   I don't think they actually removed the shingle there really wasn't enough time, could what you described be done by  just rolling them back like a rug? Thanks

Answer
I doubt that they could have done that if the shingles were properly installed. There is a starter course, installed near the eave with a seal-down strip. The first layer of shingles should be bonded to the starter course, and nails should have been installed approximately 5 5/8" up from the eave, and every 5 5/8" up from there, making rolling it up not a likely option.
They may have pulled nails, however they would have to have individual shingles to re-install.
Thanks,
Aaron

Roofing

Aaron Nelson