Roofing/roofing questions

Question
Hello,

I want to re-roof my house next summer and would like to start planning for it now. Perhaps you can answer some questions for me. The house was built in the 1920’s and has a 7/12 pitch gable end roof with a couple of valleys. It is located in Los Angeles.
The plan is to hire a company to tear off the two layers of old composition shingles. Then I plan to install (myself) new sheathing, tar paper and dimensional shingles.
So my questions are:

1. What’s better to use as sheathing, OSB or plywood? Also what thickness, ½” or 5/8” ?

2. Should I use 15# or 30# felt?

3. I will be using a Hitachi nailer; what length nails should I use? Also, should I go with ring shank or smooth?

4. I plan to go with metal valleys rather than woven. Does that sound like a good idea, or are woven valleys better?

5. The house also has a porch with a 2/12 pitch roof. I want to use the same shingles on it as on the rest of the house. Do I need to take any special precautions to prevent leaks on such a low slope roof?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Answer
Hi Marc,

Here's what I suggest.

1. 1/2" plywood
2. 30# felt
3. ring shank, 2-3/8"
4. We don't install woven valleys here, so I'm not sure on that one.  
5. Use two layers of 30# felt (half lap) on the 2/12 area.

Best of luck!

Jesse Curry
Roofing by Curry
Sarasota, FL

Roofing

Jesse Curry