Roofing/roofing questions

I want to re-roof my house next summer and would like to start planning for it now. Perhaps you can answer some questions for me. The house was built in the 1920’s and has a 7/12 pitch gable end roof with a couple of valleys. It is located in Los Angeles.
The plan is to hire a company to tear off the two layers of old composition shingles. Then I plan to install (myself) new sheathing, tar paper and dimensional shingles.
So my questions are:

1. What’s better to use as sheathing, OSB or plywood? Also what thickness, ½” or 5/8” ?

2. Should I use 15# or 30# felt?

3. I will be using a Hitachi nailer; what length nails should I use? Also, should I go with ring shank or smooth?

4. I plan to go with metal valleys rather than woven. Does that sound like a good idea, or are woven valleys better?

5. The house also has a porch with a 2/12 pitch roof. I want to use the same shingles on it as on the rest of the house. Do I need to take any special precautions to prevent leaks on such a low slope roof?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Hi Marc,

Here's what I suggest.

1. 1/2" plywood
2. 30# felt
3. ring shank, 2-3/8"
4. We don't install woven valleys here, so I'm not sure on that one.  
5. Use two layers of 30# felt (half lap) on the 2/12 area.

Best of luck!

Jesse Curry
Roofing by Curry
Sarasota, FL

Jesse Curry

I can answer questions pertaining to residential roofing, including shingles, roof tile, and low slope roofing.

I've been the Vice President of Roofing By Curry for 12 years and I have 22 years of residential roofing experience.

I'm a member of the FRSA and the local chapter called SMRSMCA.

I have a Florida State roofing license, CCC1325849.