Roofing/EDPM roofing / wet underlayment

Question
We have a EDPM roof that has been leaking to the point that it is like a waterbed underneath. I had a contractor tell me they could repair some screw holes and install turbines, coat the entire roof with a silicone spray/ brush on material. Should the old wet material come out before another material is applied?

Answer
Jim,

You should definitely determine the specific cause of the leak and correctly repair the defects in the roof membrane.  Part of the repair should be the removal of all wet materials below as entrapped water can lead to deterioration of your roof fastenings and the structure below.  Installing vents through the roof membrane has been proven to be not so effective in terms of drying and turbine vents will permit water passage during rain events.

Depending on the age and thickness of your roof membrane you might consider an appropriate repair with EPDM materials rather than a wholesale coating approach.  EPDM membranes do not need to be coated with anything to extend its life as the laps seams and details are generally the only failure mode.  A contractor versed in EPDM membranes can provide a more targeted repair that addresses these points rather than wasting money on coating perfectly good EPDM membrane.  Coatings have their place and purpose however, and not being able to completely evaluate your situation, my recommendation is general in nature.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO