Roofing/flat roof

Question
Hi Bruce,

This is a follow up question from yesterday.

I've had an on and off roof leak since the beginning of winter and water is coming in from the same area.

The insulation between the roof deck and interior ceiling is saturated.

Does this insulation need to be replaced? If not, at what point will it need to be replaced?

Thank you

Answer
Joe,

The insulation should be inspected for mold and replaced, as well as the ceiling and vapor barrier below leak area.  Generally the paper facing on the gypsum board on the ceiling will mold under the vapor barrier at the point of water entry into your unit.  The concern for mold is not overly great as when the ceiling is repaired the and the water source eliminated, any mold will return to a dormant state and also will not be exposed to the living space. But it is nice to know any mold growth has been removed.  

If you have not yet, I recommend involving a roof consultant in your area on your project to ensure your are getting the right solution and that what you are paying for is installed.  Go to www.RCI-online.org to find qualified independent consultants in your area.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO