Roofing/metal sun room insulation

Question
I have an added on sun room,sliding door, mostly windows, added to the out wall of the house.  It is a flat roof, covered with corrugated metal.  I love the sound of the rain on the roof, but the room stays sweltering hot in the summer, and freezing in the winter.  I want to insulate it, preferably from the outside, but if needed I could drop the ceiling and insulate it from the indoors.  The ceiling inside is a tongue and groove shiny plastic or perhaps metal.  I worry about the water draining off the roof if I add on to it.  Right now the water runs into the gutter nicely.  Help!

Answer
Sorry for the delay in my response, first couple months in the roofing industry is a crazy time.

If I am understanding all circumstances correctly, something will have to be given up to achieve a more comfortable.  With all considered, he only effective way you can insulate to add comfort would be form the external side.  Suggest you have a minimum of 1.5 inches of sprayed-in-place polyurethane foam roofing wit a protective coating applied to the now metal roof surface.  This will retain the heat outside the room for comfort.  The foam will also add rigidity to the metal structure.  The protective coating is important, use a quality product such as LaPolla, United Coatings. Apply minimum 28 dry mils this way every 10 years you can do an additional top coat as maintenance and always stay ahead of the aging cycle of the coating.

This approach will add value and comfort.  Best of luck in your project efforts.

Steven Wadding

Roofing

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT