The aluminum gutters have come off because of the snow and ice accumulation on the roof for three years. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again? I live in NJ.

Gutters are always a problem.  In reality there is not much you can do to prevent this occurrence.  Winter conditions differ from year to year and when heavy snows accumulate, gutters will come off.  It is possible to install heat tape in the gutters to help melt the ice and snow.  The problem with doing so is the condition known as ice damming occurs.  This is where water backs up on to the roof and freezes under the snow layer and forms ice blocks.  This causes the water to infiltrate the structure under the eave shingles.  It is possible to slow this process down by installing the heat tape in a pattern along the eave on top of the shingles.  This will help melt the snow and ice and it is possible it will relief the gutter problem and ice damming.  Remember, there are no guarantees when it comes to old man winter and the effects he has on our homes.

Good luck  

Leon R. Dazey

Metal roofing on all structures. Emphasis on standing seam roof systems.

I have over 30 years experience in the sales, marketing and installation of metal roofing. I have worked with contractors, owners, manufacturers and attorneys. I perform forensic inspections on metal roof systems and offer recommendations for the repair of all deficiencies. I have developed multiple presentations on the correct installation of commercial metal roofing.

I have written articles for Metal Construction News and for MetalMag.

Two years of college in the study of communication.

My client list includes major metal building manufacturers, metal roofing manufactures and building owners. These include MBCI, Schulte Building Systems, Inland Building Systems, USA Shanghai China, Bristol Meyer Squibb, General Tommy Franks and multiple others.