Roofing/Support beams

Question
The beams
The beams  

Part I want to remove
Part I want to remove  
I am currently undertaking an attic conversion. I have 2 big wonky awkward beams going right across the middle of the floor width ways .. Ideally I would like to alter these beams so that I can have a flush floor and lay carpet from back to front. My only problem is whether these beams are important support beams (which I think they are due to the size) but can I cut out some of the middle section without weakening the beams too much ?

Answer
They look like they are "engineered beams" which means they were put there for a specific purpose. You CAN NOT cut out the center of a beam. The weakest part of a beam is the center. The thickness of a beam is strictly to hold up the center. The longer the span the ticker it has to be. A beam is extremely strong on the ends. You could put a car on the ends of the beam. If you cut the beam in the center you cut away the part that needs the most thickness. You could try to replace the beam with something that can serve the same purpose but with less height such as a steel beam. Or you could put in a smaller wood beam but one that doesn't span as far by putting in supports under it.

Brad

Roofing

Brad Zacharia