Roofing/metal roof in San Jose CA

I'm concerned about exposed fasteners with no side interlocks with the horizontal metal panels  on a stucco home, and the possible damage to it.
Is batten vs direct deck application better for airflow?
Do metal roof installers have certification to make warranty valid , similar to the Master Elite contractor?Where do you find them for kynar coated metal roofs?

Thanks, Susan

Hi Susan,

Thanks for your questions. They are all good.  I will try to help. However, I also invite you to visit my educational website for metal roofing and ventilation at

Exposed fasteners and side overlaps are the typical weak points of through-fastened metal roof panels.  Those are reasons why many folks opt for higher end panels that have concealed fasteners and interlock on all sides.

Battens can be helpful in certain situations. However, if you have a typical attic space, I suggest improving that ventilation is more helpful than battens beneath the metal roof. I'd be happy to discuss this in more detail if you wish.  Drawbacks to battens include walkability issues, the roof can be too high for the home's gutters, and the roof can run into dormer windows.

Some manufacturers of metal roofs offer training programs for their installers. There is little if any certification though. I suggest contacting manufacturers and asking them for recommended installers.

I hope this helps.

Todd Miller

Todd E. Miller

I am available to answer any questions pertaining to residential (or other sloped) metal roofing. I have knowledge of most available products but I like to approach projects from a "needs" basis and analyze them individually. Additionally, I can answer most questions about building ventilation.

I have worked for a manufacturer of residential metal roofing since 1980. I currently serve as President and have been involved with a wide variety of projects of all types across the world.

I am a board member for Metal Construction Association, Metal Roofing Alliance, the local United Way, our church, and our son's school.

Over the years, I have had articles appear in several trade journals including RSI, Remodeling, and Qualified Remodeler.

I have a B.A. in Communications and have also completed three years of training with the E-Myth Academy.