Roofing/underlayment/decking question

Question
QUESTION: Hi Steven,

I had a GAF Camelot-2 shingled roof installed a couple years ago. For a number of reasons, I asked my roofer to remove the cobra ridge vent that was installed. He pulled off the vent and installed the timbertex cap shingles. He did NOT cover the slot with wood or put down any underlayment over that slot--just ridge caps.  After I asked him about this, he said he didn't see any reason for either. But I want to get a second opinion. What do you think? If you believe that the slot does need to be covered with wood and/or underlayment--could you point me to a resource? Thanks so much for the help!!

ANSWER: John,

I am curious as to why have a ridge vent installed and then have it removed?  

As to your question, it would have much to do with the goal you were accomplishing by removing the ridge vent.  If you did no longer wish to have ridge venting or were concerned about the open decking at the ridge, then yes the roofer should have replaced the wood deck and installed underlayment to cover the wood/ridge area, then install a ridge shingle.  What you have now is simply a revised version of a venting ridge, it is still venting and has an opening. So, if your desire by removing the ridge vent was to not have a venting ridge, he has not satisfied that task by simply putting ridge shingle on.

I hope this information answers your question, if you need additional help, feel free to write back.

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT

QUESTION: Thanks Steven,
After an extremely careful analysis--including IR imaging, we concluded that a portion of the ridge vent near the cricket was leaking; therefore, that portion of the ridge vent was removed. However, the remaining portion just did not look right with the middle part gone, and after some time started to buckle a bit too. Finally, I do have gable end vents thus the ridge vent should not be there anyway. For all these reasons (esthetics, buckling, and gable vents) I requested that the remaining ridge vents be removed. I wonder why they just won't do this right the first time--I do always worry about collateral damage when ripping up the area yet again..!! Thanks for your advice.

Answer
John,

Considering all you have shared, I understand your concern over the ridge vent.  If it suffered water intrusion, I must conclude it was likely not well installed from the start. Collateral damage is always a reality when people go back to remediate something, but with the circumstances you shared, the wood strips should have been replaced, without you may see deflection in the ridge shingles.

Have a great day and remember patience helps !

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT

Roofing

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT