Roofing/Animal damage to roof membrane

Question
roof overview
roof overview  

damage 1
damage 1  
We have some damage to a rubber membrane roof used in a transition area between a home and attached garage.  It looks like an animal has been scratching at the areas where there was a metal fastener under the membrane.  Alternatively, the membrane may have degraded in those areas and subsequently attracted squirrels or some other animal trying to get at insects that were trapped in the membrane hole.  Are those metal fasteners a problem area for a rubber roof substrate?  Do you have any experience or advice with this type of problem?  Thanks for your help.

Answer
Mike,

We find that birds (large ones like seagulls) will sometimes become fascinated with whatever they think is under the membrane and they will peck holes in it.  They generally do not focus on fasteners specifically, and I have only seen it with polyisocyanurate insulation underneath the membrane.  It does not appear that your problem started with the birds however, but you definitely have a critter working at the holes now.

While the metal fasteners are perfectly acceptable to the manufacturers when positioned directly under the membrane, I will suggest that frequently as the roof ages the fasteners can protrude through the membrane.  Perhaps the foot traffic from the last roof replacement had something to do with it?  

The membrane appears to be quite old and at this point you should consider replacing it if that is in fact the case.  Otherwise, engage a roofing contractor that is skilled in EPDM roofing for a proper repair so that that area of high water concentration does not leak.  To prevent this issue in the future, consider having an overlay board fully adhered over the mechanical fasteners to separate them from the membrane.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO