I need to have a new roof.   Several contractors are bidding.  Each has a different shingle that is being recommended--live in SD.   I question which type would be better.  A Tamko shingle vs  Marlarkey shingle.  Question cost, durability, warranty.

Thank you,

Sorry for the delay, I was on vacation and forgot to notify this site :(

Malarkey and Tamko both make excellent shingles.  If your contractor is proposing a Malarkey Alaskan shingle or other SBS Modified asphalt shingle, it will be worth the added material cost.  Most shingle warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.  Malarkey is a small manufacturer that has been in business for over 50 years and they continue to maintain a personal style of management and problem resolution which is refreshing.  Otherwise go with which ever style of shingle suits your fancy as either manufacturer produces high quality products.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO

I offer solid knowlege of all types of Commercial and Residential Roofing, Waterproofing, and, Building Envelope systems. Experience ranges across low slope and steep slope roof systems. I am also well versed in matters regarding condensation and ventilation. I enjoy donating some of my time and knowledge to the betterment of others.

Bruce Ryan has 20 years of roofing, waterproofing, and building envelope consulting experience with PRC, with 5 years of commercial roofing experience prior to joining the firm. He became Vice President of the company in 1998. Bruce Ryan plays a key role in the development of practical, long-term roofing and waterproofing solutions, along with implementation of on-site forensic studies. Bruce also has a high level of experience with regard to the impacts of roofing materials and construction for demanding clients with heavily occupied structures.

Oregon Construction Contractors Board Construction Specifiers Institute National Roofing Contractors Association The Institute of Roofing, Waterproofing, & Building Envelope Professionals Oregon Board of Investigators Installation Masters

University of Maryland BS Business & Administration Registered Roof Observer - RCI Private Investigator Certified EIFS inspector - Northwest Wall and Ceiling Bureau Certified InstallationMaster™ - The Installation Masters™ Training and Certification Program (developed by American Architectural Manufacturers Association)