Roofing/Whole house fan and ridge vent

Question
Hello Bruce
I am having my house re-roofed.  I currently have an attic floor mounted whole house fan.  I have large gable end exhaust vents.  I do not have soffit vents.  My roofer suggested a ridge vent.  I am concerned for a couple of reasons.  One is that I do not have soffit vents to pull in outside air.  I know the ridge vents are designed to work in conjuction with soffit vents.  Another concern is that the attic fan is mounted almost directly in line with the ridge so it will blow air nearly directly on to the ridge vent with great force.

I don't think that my gable exhaust vents should be used as the inlet for the ridge vent.  Will a ridge vent help or hurt ventilation in my situation?

Thanks,
Bill

Answer
Bill

If you are happy with the performance of your attic ventilation generally I seldom see a need to modify it. If you are making changes to your roof configuration or are changing the color of the roof to a much lighter or reflective surface then consider additional ventilation if required to meet code. Ridge and gable vents do not work well together.  

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO