Roofing/Broken roof joist

Question
We replaced a heavy shake roof with Presidential composition shingles in 2001. It was permitted by the city and inspected. In 2011 we noticed the sheetrock in 3 places was starting to crack and lower. The insurance company was notified in 2014 and sent out a structural engineer to access the cause of my problem. His report said that the excess weight of the Presidential shingles was the problem (additional 1# per square foot). A few of the trusses and ceiling joints have numerous cracks. There is many knots in the trusses and roof joist. The area of concern is within a 15 foot area. the rest of the house and 3 car garage are just fine.  Is it reasonable after 10 years the Presidential roof has caused this problem?

Answer
Weight does not seem like a logical explanation to me.  I would be inclined more to look at ventilation, condensation, and heat buildup.  I certainly could be wrong but weight seems unlikely.  In fact, asphalt shingles lose weight as they age .... due to oils evaporating and granules eroding away. I would also look for roof leaks.

Shake roofs tens to breathe a lot ... asphalt shingles do not.  That may be an issue as well.

Roofing

Todd E. Miller