Roofing/gable vent removal

Question
My house has soffit vents, 2 gable vents, and 2 turbine vents. I would like to cover the gable vents completely because I am installing new siding on the end gables of the house. Will this reduce any ventilation of the attic. Summers are 100+ in this part of Texas.

Answer
Ronnie,

Covering the gable vents will absolutely reduce your attic venting, and the two turbine vents will most likely not provide the code required venting ratio.  If you want to cover the gable vents you will need to provide evenly distributed ventilation openings at the soffits of your roof that will have clear air flow into your attic space of equal or greater ventilation area provided by the existing gable vents.  Code likely requires that 50% of the ventilation area be three feet lower than the other 50% if you are going to modify what exists currently and it is generally a good idea as the passive venting properties are improved through the draw of hot air rising.

Bruce Ryan II, RRO
Professional Roof Consultants, Inc.

Roofing

Bruce A. Ryan II, RRO