Roofing/Roofing code

Is ice & water shield required when replacing a roof or overlaying a roof in ohio especially in Galion, Ohio?

I'm assuming that this is for a steep-slope roof. If so you should install a self-adhered sheet that extends a minimum of 2' to the interior of any exterior wall. Typically one will start with the self-adhered sheet (Ice & Water Shield is a trade name and you can use any manufacturer's sheet) at the eave edge and install a run or two, followed by the standard underlayment. This method will help prevent any moisture intrusion due to ice-damming.
Good luck,

Aaron Nelson

All types of questions with regard to roofing, waterproofing and sheet metal. This includes commercial and residential buildings, along with the various aspects of the construction means and methods, ventilation, steep-slope or low-slope, code requirements, installation errors and other such problems

I started in roofing fabricating and installing sheet metal flashings out of high school for a large commercial contractor. I worked for the same contractor in the office estimating and project managing commercial project for 10 years. I left the construction side of roofing and now work as a roof consultant, which I have been doing for 8-years.

RCI, Inc.

I am a Registered Roof Consultant (RRC) and a Registered Roof Observer (RRO) through RCI, Inc. RCI is a international group of building envelope professionals. I am an approved instructor for RCI educational programs.

We have worked with many local school districts, insurance companies, HOA's, building management companies, and we have a national client with buildings located throughout the US.