Roofing/S Tile Roof Leaking

Question
Roof close-up
Roof close-up  

Roof wider shot
Roof wider shot  
It's amazing the roof has held back water for as long as it has. But this year it gave way and if you look at the picture you'll see why. From inside it looks to me like the leak starts where the S tiles end. Can you give any advice for how to try to fix this myself? The second column of tiles seems to pinch in toward the left and perhaps that's why the roof guy didn't just put in more S-Tiles. Was that a mistake by the roofer?
And in the end perhaps I just need to give up and call the pros. But I'd like to give a temporary repair a shot to get through the rainy season.
Any advice appreciated.

Answer
Mike,

The roof tile is a one-piece clay.  The irregular appearance would indication areas have been removed to likely make repairs.  Tile was not laid well and spaced too tightly, hence leave cannot drain from roof during rains. There should be some open "flat" space between the tops of the tiles.  As old as it appears, it is likely the underlayment beneath the tile is worn out.  Clay roof tile is not a waterproofing assembly, it sheds water so some water will always get under the tile.

Could you take up the six or seven rows from the wall and put new underlayment but if it is as brittle as I suspect you would just be chasing leaks time and again.  You could have old tile saved and new underlayment installed then have tile re-laid, which could save a few dollars, but tile you clean them, cost could be a near equal.  if you have new underlayment installed, go the extra mile and have a 2-ply underlayment installed, a little more money but well worth it.

I wish you the best of luck and write back if you have more questions.

Roofing

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT