Roofing/Metal Carport Roof

New freestanding frame 2' OC 12' long 2X4 rafters and end fascia, 2X6 ridge rafter. OSB 1/2" sheathing, 30# felt. Do I need horizontal purlins to install corrugated 29ga roof panels with #9 self tapping screws? Panel coverage is 21.5", double lap. If single lap, 24", could screw directly into rafters. 1X4 purlins? Spacing? In S. AZ, no snow, high thunderstorm winds.

I do finished roofs and not framing but if you install OSB, at that point aren't you saying to yourself that the structure now has a secure deck so you can put stuff on top of it? I don't see why you'd add purlins just because you're adding metal sheets to the deck. The deck is the supporting structure at that point.

Brad Zacharia

All aspects of residential Roofing. This includes shingles and flat (low slope) roofs. I have knowledge in the installation as well as the design of roofs from an engineering standpoint.

I have been doing roofing for 40 years. This was my father's business and I took it over in 1980.

I have written responses to artcles that I felt needed a response to and those responses have been published in roofing trade magazines.

BSEE Drexel University