Roofing/inside attic roof

How can I distinguish tar paper stains on the inside of the attic roof from black mold?  I don't know which it is.  Are the nail holes the source of the black stain? The part of the roof that has this black stain used 1/2 inch or so plywood.  The older other section of the roof, about 2/3rds of the total used 3 or 4 inch wide roofing boards rather than plywood and is not stained.

There is no reason why you will have tar or felt paper stains.
The felt paper is installed over the decking and the shingles are applied over the felt paper. Any visible stains from inside your attic are water stains or humidity.

Perhaps your roof need more square vents for air ventilation to avoid sweating and condensation.

Garcia Roofing

David Garcia

I can answer questions regarding asphalt shingles such as Gaf, Owens Corning, Atlas manufacturers. I can also help with flat roof installation such as torch down.

I'm a Kansas city roofing contractor. I have 4 yrs experience with residential and commercial roofs. My company name is Garcia Roofing.

I'm an expert in the roofing industry regarding installation and materials needed.