Roofing/inside attic roof

Question
How can I distinguish tar paper stains on the inside of the attic roof from black mold?  I don't know which it is.  Are the nail holes the source of the black stain? The part of the roof that has this black stain used 1/2 inch or so plywood.  The older other section of the roof, about 2/3rds of the total used 3 or 4 inch wide roofing boards rather than plywood and is not stained.

Answer

There is no reason why you will have tar or felt paper stains.
The felt paper is installed over the decking and the shingles are applied over the felt paper. Any visible stains from inside your attic are water stains or humidity.

Perhaps your roof need more square vents for air ventilation to avoid sweating and condensation.

Garcia Roofing
www.garciaroofing.biz

Roofing

David Garcia