Roofing/40 year old flashing

Question
Hello Tom,

I live in a 40 year-old condo complex in northern NJ and, within the last two years, have had many roofs replaced from damage from Hurricane Sandy.  The roofs were all pretty old and had been done with the old style 3-tab shingles.  Now we have dimensional shingles.  The roofer said that our cedar shake siding was splitting when he tried to cut it in order to install new flashing. As it would have cost a lot money to replace the shakes on that many buildings, he told us that the flashing was in good condition and that he would give us his OWN guarantee on the roof instead of the Golden Pledge.  My question is can and should today's new shingles be used with old metal flashing from 40 years ago.
Thank you very much,
Jeanne

Answer
The answer is no, all flashings should be replaced when installing a new roof but there can be exceptions.
If the existing flashings are 20oz copper, TCSII, or stainless steel then everything will probably be ok for the long haul as the metals I've mentioned will last through about 100 years of service.

Reworking old step flashings isn't ideal but if the budget won't allow for new siding then it's probably a safe compromise.  

Roofing

Tom Petrilli