Roofing/A Frame Ventilation

There is no ventilation to our A Frame roof. We have water spots on our ceiling and some to our walls. Is a ridge cap appropriate for this style home, or is this a case of going over the existing roof with another and venting it that way? Also, soffit areas have no vents? What would you suggest?

Hi Roy,
If you're having roof leak issues you should definitely have a roofing contractor come out and take a look.  And yes, a roof with ridges needs ridge caps.  
If the roof is old and needs to be replaced we always suggest removing the old shingles before installing a new roof, especially if you live in a climate that gets rain on a regular basis.  When you install new shingles over old shingles the cost is less, but they don't last as long and rotted wood is often missed.  If you live in a dryer climate then it's not that important. We are originally from Michigan and some people have roofs with multiple layers of shingles.

About the venting, shingles do last longer with ventilation.  They can be added to the old roof or if you decide to get a new roof they can be added then.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Jesse Curry
Vice President
Roofing by Curry
Sarasota, FL
<a href=""></a>  

Jesse Curry

I can answer questions pertaining to residential roofing, including shingles, roof tile, and low slope roofing.

I've been the Vice President of Roofing By Curry for 12 years and I have 22 years of residential roofing experience.

I'm a member of the FRSA and the local chapter called SMRSMCA.

I have a Florida State roofing license, CCC1325849.