Roofing/Tile roof no lath

We bought a house last year. It has a concrete tile roof, but they are screwed directly, no lath.  My dad has been in roofing for 40 years. Admittedly, he mainly works on composite shingles, but he was surprised to see no lath in place. He was going to replace some cracked tiles, but every tile had one screw in it.  Meaning he would have needed to star at the top and remove tiles all the down until reaching the broken one.  Do you know why they would installed it without a lath?

Hi David,
I have heard of this before.. I think it was Arizona maybe.  What state do you live in?  That has a lot to do with how your roof was installed.  We are located in Florida and it rains here a lot, so there are many state building codes we have to follow.  I know some states have little to no regulations on who can install roofs and how the roofs are installed.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Jesse Curry
Roofing by Curry
Sarasota, FL

Jesse Curry

I can answer questions pertaining to residential roofing, including shingles, roof tile, and low slope roofing.

I've been the Vice President of Roofing By Curry for 12 years and I have 22 years of residential roofing experience.

I'm a member of the FRSA and the local chapter called SMRSMCA.

I have a Florida State roofing license, CCC1325849.