Roofing/humps in rooof

Hi Tom, I asked you about a hump in my roof after having a new roof put on. I called the city inspector and he came out today and this is what I found out. I have a cathedral ceiling in the middle part of my house. On one side of the cathedral ceiling I have  the bedrooms and on the other side is the living room and garage.  The plywood was replaced on both sides of the cathedral ceiling but not on the cathedral ceiling part. The humps occur on both sides of the cathedral ceiling part. The inspector said that the plywood has to be staggered when it is laid down. However, when the roofer got the to the part where the cathedral ceiling is, he has all of the plywood butted against the old roof and no overlapping. I also went in the attic part and saw that all of the nails to attach this plywood missed the wood roof beam(truss? rafter?) and are hanging next to it. My question is, does this require a tear off to correct or is there another option for the roofer? He came and nailed the shingles down and placed a sealer over the nails and said that should take care of it. Of course, this is before the inspector came and I knew anything about what was causing this.
Thank you,

Hello Carol,

His initial application and his attempt at a remedy are both failures.  Your roof should not have fasteners placed through the shingles to hold down plywood that wasn't properly installed to start with.  When the roof decking was installed without a stagger he violated basic construction and code rules; the only remedy I see is a complete tear off and redo.

I'm sure this isn't what you wanted to hear but perhaps the building official can steer you in the right direction when it comes to recovering money from your roofer.

Maybe you could ask the building official to give you a written statement of the deficiencies in the work that you could then bring to a lawyer for a consultation.
Depending on where you live you may be able to enlist the help of the local board for contractors or whatever licensing body there is in your state;  many states have a fund that will help consumers recover money from contractors who've done bad work.

Good luck,

Tom Petrilli

I can answer questions about residential and light commercial roofing. I really enjoy solving complicated problems. My expertise is in shingle, slate and traditional metals (copper, lead, terne, stainless) as well as single ply low slope roofing. I have also installed a considerable amount of synthetic slate.

I have been a roofer for 21 years, I've owned my own company for the past 13.

The National Roofing Contractors Assoc and Virginia Association of Roofing Contractors

I have attended numerous manufacturer training programs as well as sought out experts in specialized work for instruction.

A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, A rating from Angies List, highest mark for quality and value from the Washington Consumer Checkbook