Roofing/Sealant on Flat Roof Repair

Question
PK Roof 1
PK Roof 1  

PK Roof 2
PK Roof 2  
Last summer I had an insurance inspector come out and check a flat roof on a commercial structure.  They cut out a portion of the roof for inspection and sealed the removed portion with a soft black tar.  Soon after, the roof leaked exactly at the spot where the sample was repaired.  The material used is still very soft.  I am wondering if this material would have been more appropriate to seal around openings on a sloped roof, and not a flat roof?

Answer
It's hard to tell what you have there. It looks like stones on the roof. In the old days they used stones but to patch it you had to scrape it and be careful you didn't make holes where the scraping ends. If you make holes right up to the stones, you can't patch the roof right at the stones or you'd pick up the stones so you stop a little short of the stones when patching. They could have made holes that are not covered or the patch itself can have holes in it.

Brad

Roofing

Brad Zacharia