Roofing/Metal roofing

Question
I just had a metal roof installed on my cottage. They left the old shingles on roof & fired it out with 1x4's. They did not use any plastic, the guy said since I had a roof vent installed no plastic (vapor barrier)was needed. Is there any need to be concerned now that it's done & if so, what to do?? I'm asking because I heard of another installer using a bubble wrap under the metal. I just don't want a mess in a few years & correct it now, if needed.

Answer
Thanks John.

First of all, here's an article I have written on removing the old shingles or not: http://www.asktoddmiller.com/history/should-existing-asphalt-shingles-be-removed

Next, here is an article on whether battens are necessary: http://www.asktoddmiller.com/misc/does-a-metal-roof-need-to-be-on-battens/

Finally, in my opinion, the International Building Code would have required underlayment, not necessarily a vapor barrier, on top of your existing shingles.  However, not everyone interprets the code that way and there are many installations like yours.

The good thing is that with your roof on battens you do not have the old shingles rubbing against the back of the metal roof.

As long as you have good attic ventilation, and perhaps even if you do not, I think you will be fine with your roof as is.  I do not anticipate any problems.

Feel free to contact me anytime. My email is todd@asktoddmiller.com

Roofing

Todd E. Miller