Roofing/matching shingles

Question
Does Illinois have any provisions that require matching shingles if repairs are being made on a roof?

Answer
John,

Illinois as well as localized jurisdictions (Cities, counties, townships) have the ability to adopt all or some of the International Building Code(IBC) or International Residential Code (IRC), making what revisions they desire, provided they are voted in by the govering board (city council for example).  Illinois has adopoted the IBC and IRC and likely have some revisions they have made.

As a general rule the IBC and IRC view that when more than 40% of a roof is required to be replaced as a method of repair, the entire roof should be replaced. In your case, if more than 40% of the roof was displaced by wind or hail, the Code is recommending that the roof be replaced. Now the challenge is, when you deal with stubbon insurance companies, as they can be problematic. Typical policy language state they must put the insured into a condition equal to that prior to the claim, so they can often want to replace only half a roof if half is damaged to reduce costs. You could argue Code, it may help or they may stand to the terms of the policy.  You agreed to this by taking out the policy. The policy does not state they must follow all Code Compliant conditions.  This is where a good Local Building Code Official could help, he could investigate the property and state the entire roof must be replaced, thereby limiting the insurance companies options.

Not knowing what you circumstances are, I presummed and offered a scenario or two thnking your reasoning may be one related to an insurance claim. Going beyond the claim issue, if you replace an area on part of a shingle roof, you are likely to be dissatisifed with the blending of colors.  Best to do the entire side so any color variation is less visible.

I hope this will help to answer most of what you are seeking. If you have additional questions feel free to write back.

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT

Roofing

Steven C. Wadding RRC,RRO,CDT