Roofing/Roof Coating and Maintenance Help

Question
I have a small flat roof above my garage.Size is 4'X18' and doesn't leak.It has a rubber membrane on top.To maintain it,is there something to put on it like once a year?I live in Minnesota.Thanks!

Answer
South County Roofing
South County Roofing  
Good morning Randy,

One bit of information you should know before attempting to work on your roof is what type of roofing is it.  

If it does in fact have a rubber membrane you need to know if it is TPO, EPDM, or some type of coating.

The only thing you can put on it would be a coating.  If you are unable to identify if you have either a TPO or EPDM you can contact your local roofing distributor and asked them for a roof coating that is compatible with both types.  There are some.

The roof coatings they have now are really nice and last a long time.  You wont need to do it every year or maybe even ever 5-10 years if done properly and with a good product choice.  

Every distributor carries different sealant and coatings.  There are a ton of manufactures for this products category. So, what specific product we use here may only be available there under a different name.  You have to call and ask what's available.   

I researched a little infor for you -

Single-ply membranes are factory-manufactured sheet membranes. They generally are categorized as either thermoplastic or thermoset. Thermoplastic materials can be repeatedly softened when heated and hardened when cooled. Thermoset materials solidify, or "set," irreversibly after heating. Single ply membranes commonly are referred to by their chemical acronyms, such as ethylene propylene diene terpolymer (EPDM).

Single-ply sheet membranes are produced using one of three manufacturing processes: calendering, extruding or spread coating. The membranes may contain reinforcement layers. Common reinforcements for single ply membranes include polyester fabrics or scrims, glass fiber, or a felt or fleece backing.

A finished sheet's thickness typically is referred to as mil thickness; 1 mil equals 0.001 inch. Common mil thicknesses for these sheet membranes range from 30 mils to 60 mils.

Single-ply membranes can be installed fully adhered, mechanically attached or held down with ballast. Most single-ply roof systems do not receive surfacings.

In many instances, a combination of attachment methods are used to secure a roof system. For instance, an insulation may be mechanically attached to the substrate with the roof membrane fully adhered to the insulation.

Click here to learn more about thermoplastic membranes, such as polyvinyl chloride (PVC) and thermoplastic olefin (TPO).

Click here to learn more about thermoset membranes, such as ethylene propylene diene terpolymer (EPDM).  

Roofing

Brian Atkins