Looking for a heat cable to use under metal roofing to prevent ice build up. I have metal metal roofing with a 24" overhang.

Heat cables are not a good idea on any roof with heavy snowfall.  They tend to thaw the ice and snow at the roof but then continue to freeze above and create ice dams.  I am not familiar with heat cables under a roof sheet.  I would be very cautious doing that should you decide to proceed with the installation.  My best suggestion is to keep the roof as clear of new snow fall as possible and let nature take its course.

Leon R. Dazey

Metal roofing on all structures. Emphasis on standing seam roof systems.

I have over 30 years experience in the sales, marketing and installation of metal roofing. I have worked with contractors, owners, manufacturers and attorneys. I perform forensic inspections on metal roof systems and offer recommendations for the repair of all deficiencies. I have developed multiple presentations on the correct installation of commercial metal roofing.

I have written articles for Metal Construction News and for MetalMag.

Two years of college in the study of communication.

My client list includes major metal building manufacturers, metal roofing manufactures and building owners. These include MBCI, Schulte Building Systems, Inland Building Systems, USA Shanghai China, Bristol Meyer Squibb, General Tommy Franks and multiple others.